This makes about 1½ lbs, filling about 10% more jars than 24oz capacity. It is probably best made a day or
two in advance so that the spice flavour can develop. See the
accompanying page for a recipe for mixed spice.
||Gd mixed spice, generous
Copyright © 2005-6, Alex Stark. All rights reserved.
- Put everything in a pan over a moderate heat;
- Stir until the sugar dissolves;
- Bring to boil;
- Simmer gently for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally;
- Aim to burst every berry without mashing them up too much;
- Store in clean dry jars as for jam;
- Freeze if desired, though it is so easy perhaps freeze the
berries until needed.
- Can boil jars 10mins, pour water over lids, dry in 200F/110C oven.