There are different types.
These are the partially-cooked ones. This quantity makes 40 or so thin 3in nests.
- Get eggs ready in clean bowl and electric whisk to hand;
- Make sugar syrup in really clean pan; boil until reaches 238F, and remove from heat;
- Beat eggs to soft peaks;
- Beat eggs while pouring in syrup in a stream;
- Use thinner stream if slow whisk, thicker if faster, so that syrup dwells for a second before being completely dispersed;
- Beat to desired thickness;
- Pipe or shape onto parchment or ?wax paper;
- Bake to dry out at 225F for 2½-3 hours, or 175F for 3½ hours, at which point meringues should peel away easily and be totally dry.
- Put an air-bake sheet under lowest sheet, or use air-bake, so
that the elements do not radiate directly onto the sheet, since this
raises their temperature.
- Need to check if wax paper is OK.
- 2006/12/08 44 meringues 200F for 3½ hours, last hour at 175F: these were thin, and were probably ready earlier.
Copyright © 2006, Alex Stark. All rights reserved.